“‘I will give you a name,’ he said to it, ‘and I shall call you Sting.'”
– Bilbo Baggins, from The Hobbit
It has been about 2 months, and I’m still pulling through with this New Year’s Resolution. I haven’t been blogging about every one of my successes and failures, but I have been faithfully abiding by my punishment/reward system.
Thus far, I have been late 11 times this year (avg 0.17 tardies/day), so I’m doing not too badly. Most of my tardies have been in the early few weeks, and it’s getting a lot easier to be on time (or early) to things. It’s clearly becoming a new habit (yes!) and I am changing for the better. As of right now I’m on a new record of going 3 weeks and a day without being late (I am getting those 1-wk gummy bears!). Let’s hope I can keep it up until next Tuesday which will mark my 1 month-mark (the reward for that benchmark is 1 late pass).
So far I have gotten a total 6 bags of gummy bears. It’s good but nothing crazy unusual. The punishments have been more memorable. Sor far I have done…
1. Write “I will not be late. I will be on time.” 250 times. [2 times]
2. 100 pull ups (can be broken down to sets). [0 times]
3. 200 push ups (can be broken down to sets). [1 time]
4. 20 min plank (can be broken down to sets). [1 time]
5. Donate $30 to an organization I oppose. [0 times]
6. Eat a lemon. [0 times]
7. Memorize a random page out of the TI-83 manual. [2 times]
8. Time out – ear plugs and eye mask – sitting alone for 1 hour straight. [1 time]
9. The time for my next event is set to 15 min earlier. [1 time]
10. Run the “godzilla” hill at Schabarum park 10 times in a row. [3 times]
The winner thus far is #10, which is a terrible one. It’s a steep hill we used to run in high school cross country and doing it 10 times is tough. I was (un)lucky enough to have done it 3 times. And as a bonus, one of those 3 times was my 10th punishment, meaning I had to double that punishment (see my Milestone Punishment rules from the first post). I couldn’t do it 20 times, so I did 2 days of 10. Oh gosh. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.
Actually I do. One time I made it to the top of the hill huffing and puffing, then I saw a lizard! I got excited because I used to catch those things for research during college. Then while I was distracted, bees/wasps stung me on the leg and on the thigh. It somehow got trapped inside my shorts and couldn’t get out and I freaked out. Nobody was there to see (thankfully) me pull down my shorts on top of the hill to let the bee/wasp go. That’s what I get for being late.
Anyways, I’m kind of hoping I get to eat a lemon sometime, but we shall see.