Yesterday’s Art of Manliness assignment was to find my Non-negotiable, Unalterable Terms. I should have done this yesterday, but something happened and I wasn’t in the mood. Apologies to my readers.
Non-negotiable Unalterable Terms are kind of related to my core values, but they’re more specific, like manifestations of my core values.
- Family comes before anybody else.
- I live in accordance to my Christian faith.
- I will save energy whenever possible (slow acceleration in car, turning off lights when not in the room, easy on the A/C or heater, etc.)
- I will never again download music, movies, etc. illegally.
- Doing the right thing always trumps convenience and comfort.
- I will not let alcohol, women, or money mess me up.
- I will not hesitate to compliment people as i see fit.
- Awkwardness and embarrassment will not stop me from doing what I gotta do.
- I will take responsibility for things I’ve stepped into (anybody watch Argo?).
Let me know what you think! And if at anytime you witness me not living in alignment with these N.U.T.s (seriously, why do they call them by this acronym?), please call me out on them so that I can be the man that I claim to be.